Monday, October 6, 2014

New WCA event suggestions

A while back I had a blog post about having more competitions, in which I talked about adding new/ different events. In this post I would like to expand on that.
                To start, I feel like some puzzles are becoming too easy as new methods are created, and are almost becoming redundant. Things like 2x2, pyraminx, and skewb are reaching their limits as far as world records. While I love having these events, the fact that they only take a few seconds to solve means that more events could be added and not add a whole lot of time to the schedule. One main puzzle I really want to see is a floppy cube added, just for a little fun. Yes, I understand it would probably have a world record of .5 seconds of something crazy like that, but it would be all in the interest of fun, not for true competition. Another idea for a regular event would be the 8x8. This would be a longer puzzle to speedsolve, but I think that the best could probably do it in about 5 minutes.
                But I don’t only think single puzzles should be added. Group events could be added as well. Maybe a national team relay at big competitions for 3x3. Have 4 people for the same country each solve a 3x3 then slap the next person’s hand, until all 4 are done. This would be a whole other level of competition, as you would have to have 4 great cubers, instead of only one. In addition, you could have variations of the relay, like a 2 person one, or maybe a 4 person relay on 4x4. Another great multi-person event idea is a best “shot” kind of competition. 4 cubers do a solve, and the best solve of all 4 is used as the actual time. All 4 do 5 solves, and the best 5 of these 20 create the average for the group.
                Finally, I feel like we need a multiple cube event. Making something like a 2x2-4x4 relay events would add a whole new level of challenge, as new strategies would have to be created to solve in the best order and how to inspect all of them in the best way.  Also you could have the cubing “marathon” which is doing every speed event all at once, or for a simpler version, just the 2x2-7x7. I feel like this would measure the very best of the best, and could be used as the newest standard of achievement.

                But overall, I just would like a little variety, I feel as though the WCA could use just a little spicing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment