Monday, October 27, 2014

Modifications and Custom Puzzles

One thing I love seeing so much is a brand new idea being put into reality. Things like hand mods and custom puzzles are just so cool to me, because they take an idea of something someone thought would be cool, and put it into action. And I’m constantly amazed because these mods and puzzles just keep coming, with no stop. But right now, I want to look at a few of my favorites.
                The first big one I love is the Mix-up Cube. For those of you unaware, this puzzle moves like a regular 3x3, except it includes the ability to move a middle slice 45 degrees, and then the corners switch with the center pieces. Now while I don’t have this puzzle, it amazes me because it turns on a level that increases the difficulty of the already super hard 3x3. In addition, it just amazes me that a mechanism can support this. I would love to look at a Mix-up cube just for the insides, as I’m sure it would be complicated but easy enough to be economical.
                The next awesome puzzle I love is actually a series of puzzles. Basic cuboids. While not so super amazing all by themselves, it’s so cool to watch designers like Traiphum put together massive cuboids that shouldn’t exist. Things like the 10x10x8 are so awesome, and I just marvel at the collassalness. But the real amazing thing for me is the small but wide cuboids. Things like the 2x5x5, which seem to be a physical impossibility. Imagine how close someone would have to work to be able to construct something like that. Pieces would have to reach to the edge of their long, fragile, sticks just to be attached. And yet somehow, these puzzles are made with relative ease and they work just as well as many other custom mods.
                Finally on this list, are simple mods that I enjoy for just that, their simplicity. For instance, Crazy Bad Cuber showed a 248 mod, where he basically just glued parts of an 8x8 together. While the building of the mod may not be overly difficult, the solving definitely is. The puzzle bandages on so many different levels it’s hard to believe you can still turn it. It appears to be impossible at first glance, but you could never tell while making it, as it is as simple as gluing pieces together.
                This is just a small list of puzzles; I will be out with another soon. Pictures for each puzzle are below, in respective order.






No comments:

Post a Comment