Monday, September 29, 2014

Fangshi Shuang Ren 54.6 Illusion Cube

Today, my review on the Fangshi Shuang Ren 54.6 mm Illusion cube. Not the most controversial puzzle, and it wasn't the hugest deal when it came out, but this puzzle still holds a special place in my heart.
To start off, I love this puzzle for a plethora of reasons, starting with the fact that it was my main for quite a while. The way it moves makes me love it every time I pick it up. The scratchy feeling is amazing and it is one of the best cubes I have ever turned. Another great thing about the cube is the speed is perfect for a 20 second solver. When I first bought this cube, I was a high 30 second average, so for about two months I really didn’t like the cube, but when I got faster, and started to improve, I grew right into this cube, and it is still one of my favorites. Maybe it’s the scratchiness, but even though the speed is good, when I’m just doing random turns, it seems too fast, but then I actually solve it, and it is perfectly controllable.
                My biggest problem with this cube is the corner cutting and the lock ups. While the corner cutting is decent, it is by no means amazing, and when added to my tight tensions, it becomes quite a task to handle. Fortunately it is not a huge problem on most of the solve; only hurting the occasional F2L or PLL move.
          One issue some people might have is the weird coloring of this cube. You can order it with black corners and white edges or vice versa and it looks really unusual. This makes look ahead very hard for some people, but I spent a good deal of time getting used to it and its quite easy once you adjust. The main part is just spending the time to change in the first place.

          Overall, This cube is great. I would easily rank it 8 out of 10. It has gotten me more PB’s than any other cube I own and is high performance, however, I can’t recommend this cube to most below 15 second solvers, only for the reason that its size and corner cutting prevent it from being a top level speedcube. However, for any collection this is great and highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment