Sunday, January 11, 2015

So Many World Records!

I don’t know if anyone reading this has noticed this as they have surfed the cubing media, but world records are being broken all over the place! I know that in the last two months, Feliks has broken the one handed average and the 5x5 average, Antoine Cantin broke the one handed single, and so many more every which way. This leads me to beg the question, how? Aren’t world records the things that can’t be broken often, and should be really hard to get? Because it is beginning to look like anyone can do it while sitting on their couch eating popcorn. It wouldn’t be the same if it were just the skewb record or something similar, because the event is only a year old and it should have lots of world records. But not every event extremely frequently.

                You might be wondering where I’m going with this, and here it is. I’m scared. The truth is I think that by the time cubing has been fully popularized, and there are lots of people doing it, there will be no records left to break. And I know, it’s not the end of the world, but I know that I want to have something to strive for, and a world record is definitely something worthwhile to try for, and if I can’t go for that because it becomes impossible, where do I go? I can only try and be the world champion, which then requires a nasty plane ride to a random country, and if I fail there, then I have to wait two years to try again. I think that all these records broken then lack of in the future will cause an increase in the number if puzzles we compete for, but I don’t really wanted to see another Rubik’s magic ordeal, where the event is discontinued, and people can’t compete in their main event. So I don’t know what to do and not so calmly ask, any ideas? 

No comments:

Post a Comment