Monday, January 19, 2015

Another Competition and Progress, and a Tiny Little Rant

Drum Roll Please!  I’m happy to announce yesterday I was competing in the Sunday contest and during I had a new personal best average of 5 of 14.34! This is an amazing achievement for me and I’m so happy to see my improvement! And since I have made a really awesome new achievement I wanted to announce two exciting events.
First! I will be attending the Lawrence Spring 2015 competition! This will be my fourth competition and I will be going against some of the best cubers in the country, including, but not limited to, Kevin Hays, Chris Olson, and Kennan Lejuene.  I’m not going to release any official goals until sooner to the date, but being over half learned in OLL would be so cool.
In other news, something I have been wanting since I started on this dream 8 short months ago… I’M GOING TO U.S. NATIONALS 2015!!!! Now it’s not confirmed yet, but my parents seem willing and I am beyond excited to go. Now being as this will be my first competition on an international scale, I wanted to shed a little advice, as I have been to enough competitions now that I think I can honestly talk about this.
No matter what happens, be really friendly to people. I say this to everyone from first time newbies to seasoned speedcubers, and for a very good reason. Cubing is one of the sports where everyone is a nerd. That’s it. Everyone has enough nerdiness inside of the to spend days learning how to solve a rubiks cube, and most of us have even more nerdiness enough to spend months memorizing hundreds of algorithms, and practicing tons of different tricks to get really fast. This identity that we hold is something that should bind us. The fastest cubers shouldn’t be rude to slower ones, even they were slow once. The slower cubers should hate on other slow cubers, just because they aren’t in the same group or aren’t in as many events as others. The point I really need to make here is that cubing is one of the best things in the world. It really is. And I think the best part, is just the sense of family that comes from competing, and knowing the secrets of the greatest puzzle on earth. So please, please be friendly no matter where you are, no matter how newbie the person you’re talking to is, or how much better you feel over everyone else.

Remember, you once had to read a pamphlet to solve it too. Don’t get cocky, and have lots of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment