Sunday, December 14, 2014

Moyu Quality Control?

This post is more of just an idea to maybe improve something in the future. So here we go. You might occasionally hear about higher order cubes that have the single bad piece or unusually placed sticker, that makes the cube bad until you fix it. This may be a slight annoyance, but it is usually fixed pretty easily and I would only call it an inconvenience. However, recently Moyu has had a few blunders which weren’t just one or two bad pieces on the off puzzle, but defects effecting an entire batch or series of cubes. Of course everyone knows about the most recent incident, in which the Aolong V2 had a bad first batch, with very scratchy, dry and slow plastic. I have to commend them as they fixed the problem as soon as it became apparent, but I still think it could have been avoided. Another issue I have heard of as of “recent” is the Aosu 4x4, which evidently had some deformed center pieces that made for an awful puzzle. This is definitely not a huge deal, but it was more than just one or two people who had an issue so I figured it was worth noting.
Now at the beginning of this post, you probably thought I was going to bust some major stuff out on Moyu, things I had heard and had been compiling for years to give a scathing review of Moyu, that would put them out of business for good. No. you see, I actually like Moyu, it’s my favorite cubing brand and they make some of my favorite puzzles. This post is just to say, hey, there is room for improvement! For instance, they could put a tiny bit more money into their quality control department, hire an extra person, and maybe get a few of those extra problems resolved before the cubes hit the stores.

 But one thing I think would be really beneficial for Moyu is just to slow their roll a bit. In the last year, they have released so many cubes I didn’t bother to even find a number, but among them is the entire “Ao” series, which most of which were top notch cubes, along with the Pyraminx and the Skewb, which from what I have heard, are very good, and I really want to get the Pyraminx, as I think it will easily replace my Shengshou. The point is that they have released so many puzzles, and they only had one big issue, but in addition to that, the also had difficulties with corner twists on the original Aolong and according to Kevin Hayes, whom I would consider an expert in the area, the Moyu 6x6 left much to be desired. If they just slowed down the release of these puzzles a little bit, maybe had some more tests done to see if the 6x6 was a good cube, or if the Aolong was going to be a stable cube, they could have stopped some issues and had a few better products, and definitely would not have had to make a completely new batch of Aolong V2’s. So just a simple idea Moyu, slow it down, get it under control, and keep making the best products, and keep producing world record setting equipment!

No comments:

Post a Comment