Monday, April 13, 2015

WR Hualong

I haven’t seen a whole ton of hype surrounding the new Moyu speed cube, the Hualong, but I can definitely admit it has me and others a bit excited. It’s the next thing out of Moyu’s toy box and after its recent success across many platforms; I think Moyu deserves a little appreciation and attention to its newest cube. However, this hype will beg the question, is this the next big thing? Will Feliks finally restore order by claiming a sub 5.55 with this cube? Will Matts prove himself the best and beat Felik’s world record average on it? Honestly, I don’t feel like it.
                Don’t get me wrong, it’s not a bad cube, besides the speed the Hualong will match basically any modern 3x3. It’s no fault of the cube’s or anything Moyu could change; it’s just the simple fact that they aren’t the only company now with a viable speed cube. Yuxin has released its 3x3, which I think is incredible, new main material for sure, and QiYi and New Island both released the bullfight (I don’t know which company did it first, don’t ask), which, while not on my favorite list, is definitely a decent option. Moyu will just have to accept that they can’t control the whole market anymore. Even Feliks has switched his main to the Gans 357, which while not being a cube I have ever dealt with; I hear it is another solid competitor.

                So what cube will break both the 3x3 world records? Honestly, that’s as easy to say as who will break it. Yeah, everyone knows Feliks deserves it, but think of all the other cubers who are sub 10, and all they need is one lucky scramble to put them on top. Cornelius, Matts, even Kevin Hays could put out some kind of miracle. I guess the point here is not the type of cube or the cuber themselves; it’s just to remember this simple idea. As the cubing world grows, competitions, hardware, they both grow. We have to accept that soon one person may not hold all the records. Soon many cubes will hold many records across many places of the world. We can’t ask a simple question like will the Hualong beat 5.55 or when Feliks will finally break that darned single record, we just have to be prepared for the inevitable, that someday it will be broken, we just have to be ready for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment